Kyle J. Trent
Kyle J. Trent focuses his practice in the areas of Labor and Employment and Education Law. Kyle is a graduate of Rutgers School of Law, where he was an Editor of the Rutgers Law Review, a Dean’s Merit Scholar, and an Essex County Bar Foundation Scholar. He also served as a Teaching Associate in the Legal Research and Writing Program and a Teaching Assistant in the Minority Student Program.
Kyle began his legal career working for more than three years in the Legal Research Unit at the New Jersey Office of Administrative Law, where he drafted legal memoranda in hundreds of contested cases transmitted from State agencies, including numerous employment matters transmitted from the Civil Service Commission, education matters transmitted from the Commissioner of Education, and special education matters transmitted from the Office of Special Education Programs. Before joining Apruzzese, McDermott, Mastro & Murphy, Kyle worked in the Education Department at a mid-sized law firm focusing on the representation of school boards.
Kyle has filed, responded to, and participated in a wide variety of administrative, judicial, and arbitration matters on behalf of school boards and other employers involving discrimination and retaliation claims, wrongful discharge, breach of contract, employee and union grievances, discipline appeals, special education litigation, the Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights Act, tenure matters, school residency, labor negotiations, student records, school board governance, the School Ethics Act, the Local Public Contracts Law, the Public School Contracts Law, student transportation, the Open Public Records Act, the Open Public Meetings Act, and other employment and education related issues. His work has been published in the New Jersey Lawyer and School Leader magazines.
- Rutgers School of Law, J.D.
- University of Connecticut, B.A.
- New Jersey
- New York
- United States District Court of New Jersey
- Labor and Employment Law
- Education Law
- Special Education Law
- Government Law
- Administrative Law
Honors and Recognitions:
- Editor, Rutgers Law Review, Rutgers School of Law – Newark
- Dean’s Merit Scholar (2008-2011), Rutgers School of Law – Newark
- Essex County Bar Foundation Scholar (2009-2010)
- Named a “Rising Star” by New Jersey Super Lawyers (2017, 2018)
- New Jersey Association of School Attorneys
Events and Activities:
- Teaching Associate, Legal Research & Writing Program, Rutgers School of Law – Newark
- Teaching Assistant, Minority Student Program, Rutgers School of Law – Newark
- Judicial Intern to The Honorable Jaynee LaVecchia, Associate Justice, New Jersey Supreme Court
Published Works and Seminars:
- Educated Justice: Juvenile Justice and the Schools, New Jersey Lawyer, New Jersey State Bar Association, October 2015 (co-author)
- Special Education and the Law: Recent Trends and Developments, School Leader, New Jersey School Boards Association, Vol. 47, No. 1, July/August 2016 (contributor)